In appreciation of The Cure (part 2 of 4)

Album: Japanese Whispers (1983)

(A compilation album of The Cure singles Nov 82 - Nov 83. It compiles the singles "Let's Go to Bed", "The Walk" and "The Lovecats". The other tracks are the B-sides of these singles.)


The Upstairs Room - The Cure



Let's Go to Bed - The Cure



The Walk - The Cure







Album: The Top (1984)


The Caterpillar – The Cure

(Among my favorite Cure tracks, haunting 80s song that is tough to shake from my memory. When played live, legend has it that Robert Smith would jokingly introduce it as an old Japanese song.

As thevoidgoround writes in his review: "The Caterpillar is an upbeat song with vibrant percussions, washy acoustic guitars, screeching violins, and de-tuned piano flourishes. Smith sings abstract lyrics about a girl who loves caterpillars that has an aura of psychedelia.")







Album: The Head on the Door (1985)



(According to thevoidgoround, the advent of MTV with their videos that were directed by longtime collaborator Tim Pope helped increase their audience helping the band to become one of the key alternative acts of the 1980s.)

Close to me - The Cure




In Between Days - The Cure




A Night Like This - The Cure




The Blood - The Cure







Album: Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me (1987)


(Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me is the seventh studio album by British alternative rock band The Cure. Released in 1987, this album helped put The Cure into the American mainstream, becoming their first album to reach the Billboard Top 40.

1987 Robert Smith interview: “The reason why the group started really, was that I’d get really affected by music, what I listened to, and I was just being bombarded by awful music, from all around me, when I was like 14 or 15, and I just thought I want to do something about it. So I’ve always wanted the group to play music that I enjoy, and as my tastes have changed over the years our style of music has changed”)

Just Like Heaven - The Cure



If Only Tonight We Could Sleep – The Cure



How Beautiful You Are... – The Cure





What do you guys think of the music? Check back next week for part 3 where I look at arguably The Cure's finest album Disintegration (1989)


Robert Smith quotes from:
The Story Of The Cure - Much More Music (2000)
The Cure on That Was Then… This Is Now (1988, BBC documentary)
Out of the Woods - The Cure (2004) (Chrome Dreams)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting my reviews. I like where you're going with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: You're welcome! I read all your Cure reviews in chronological order, was interesting, and made me aware of how many band member changes have happened, and the development of Robert Smith, the sound, and the fanbase.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails