Favorite intros from childhood TV-shows


Inspired by Dan's post at top10films, in which he shared his Top 10 Films of a Ten Year Old

......

I loved TV during the 1980s. There are days when I long for those times as a child, when I didn't have to worry about a career, or getting married. Most of these shows were pure escapism. Warning, the music in several of the clips below is totally addictive ( :


Thundercats intro

(The best thing about the cartoon was the opening. The logic presumably being, if you have a great intro, then kids will watch. I had a collection of action figures, sword, and vehicle. I never got into Transformers or Star Wars toys.)



...

Postman Pat intro

(I loved the set design in that show. Theme song strangely sounds like Paul McCartney!)



...

Superted intro

(Cute story, my mum bought a yellow teddy bear, and stayed up very late the night before my birthday making the red superhero outfit for the teddy. I was very pleased to have my own homemade superted)



...

The Mysterious Cities of Gold intro

(The music was annoying, but the Indiana Jones atmosphere had me hooked, probably my 2nd fav childhood show. I saw all the episodes as an adult a few years ago, and was still enjoyable)




...

inspector gadget cartoon intro theme

(Loved the imaginative gadgets of the show, which were probably inspired by Bond movies)



...

He-man intro

("I have the power!" That never gets old!)




...

Batman (1966–1968)

(I'll spare you the intro, the music is cringeworthy. I loved when we got to see the batcave and the batmobile. I also recall the show having exciting cliffhanger endings. Batman was my first taste of tongue-in-cheek camp, which I would also enjoy later in the Roger Moore Bond outings.)




...

Ducktales Intro

(I swear this theme music will stay with you until your last breath, I don't know if that's a good thing!)



...

Count Duckula theme

(I liked how they made Donald Duck into a camp Dracula)



...

Banana man intro

(I don't remember much about the cartoon, other than the intro. I guess because the opening was always the same week after week, stayed with me. Looking at it today, I can see the obvious message of trying to make kids eat more fruit)



...


Wacky Races opening and closing credits

(The way that dog Muttley laughed, I can still clearly remember. As with inspector gadget, it was the gadgets that impressed me)




...

The Flintstones end credits sequence

(I loved that ending scene, when Fred Flintstone gets put outside the door, yet he is too stupid (or proud) to jump through the window ( :




...

Knightmare intro

(Knightmare was probably my fav show as an 8-year-old, essential viewing back then in the 80s. The imagination, suspense and participatory element made for great TV. The intro is animation, but the show is not. Dungeon master Treguard was so cool, and the special effects were amazing)




...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles intro

(The music is so memorable, I love that moment in the disco)




...

The Wonder Years, Seasons 1-4 Opening

( I felt like I grew up together with the Arnold family. Interesting fact, Daniel Stern, who played the villian in Home Alone, did Kevin's voice-over. Without that voice-over, I don't know if the show would have been as funny and heart-warming)



...

Doctor Who - 1980s opening theme

(Episodes entitled The Greatest Show In The Galaxy were frightening when you are not very old. Especially the clowns! Fear of clowns is apparently called coulrophobia)



...

Knight Rider intro

(Haunting music, and who didn't want to drive that car)



...

Monty Python's Flying Circus intro

(Terry Gilliam, his imagination is limitless. I'd love to know how he came up with all those ideas for the cartoon sequences. Maybe I ought to read Gilliam on Gilliam, the interview book)



Honourable mentions: Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, M.A.S.K, The A-Team, Beverly Hills 90210, Crystal Maze.


Now it's your turn, what were your favorite cartoons or tv-shows as a child? Did you watch any of the shows I shared above?

11 comments:

  1. Ho. Ly. Shit. This post took me back, way way back.

    Inspected Gadget, Ducktales, The Wonder Years - classic. I myself would ass the X-Men theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex Withrow: I love going way back ( : My interest in x-men didn't begin until the first movie in 2000, I must have missed the comics and cartoons. Just gave the theme a listen for first time.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I said "ass" when I meant "add". Love it.

      Delete
  2. Really loved this post and it's a great idea. Agree with you on Inspector Gadget, Wacky Races, Knight Rider and Thundercats. I'd forgotten all about the Wonder Years. I may even produce a list of my own to pay homage to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @doccortex: Thanks! Another who grew up watching telly in the 80s I presume! I don't know how kid's tv measures up today, but I thought there was lots to enjoy back then (both tv and movies). I'll keep an eye out for your possible response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing that I apparently have so many brain cells assigned to recalling the theme songs of these shows. ;-) Nice post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @threeguys1movie.com: Many of those theme songs are unforgettable. A little like commercials sometimes are, that have been played over and over! It's ok if you haven't heard them in 20 years ( :
      ps Did you happen to see I gave you guys the 7x7 award ?

      Delete
  5. Niiiiice. I was always fond of DuckTales, Tailspin, Inspector Gadget and TMNT. They don't make 'em like they used to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Eric: I remember Tailspin a little bit, the theme and intro were memorable

      Delete
  6. My homage to this post is now available at 'Into the Valley of the Obscure' - many thanks for the idea Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @doccortex: Glad I inspired you to take a trip down memory lane ( :

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails