2016 blind spot choices







I've decided to continue with Ryan McNeil's 2016 blindspot blogathon. Other LAMB bloggers are also participating, so it should be fun. The idea is you select 12 films you've never seen before and write about a film each month.
My list is not varied in terms of decades. All of the selections tie in with an 80s music project I'm doing on the blog. I've tried to pick films that have soundtracks that look intriguing or films I missed by acclaimed directors. I realize some of these films are lowbrow entertainment and not necessarily masterpieces, but sometimes that's what you need.

I took the liberty of borrowing a header banner another blogger created, hope that's alright! Anyway, feist your eyes on the 12 films:



Coal Miner’s Daughter (1980) (Michael Apted)






Valley Girl (1983) (Martha Coolidge)






The Killer (1989) (John Woo) (Review)






Sid and Nancy (1986) (Alex Cox)






One from the Heart (1982) (Francis Ford Coppola)






Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985) (Paul Schrader)






To Live and Die in L.A. (1985) (William Friedkin)






Weird Science (1985) (John Hughes) (Review)






Nine 1/2 Weeks (1986) (Adrian Lyne) (Review)







Streets of Fire (1984) (Walter Hill)






Betty Blue (1986) (aka 37°2 le matin) (Jean-Jacques Beineix) (Review)






Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure (1989) (Stephen Herek)




What do you think of my choices? Have you seen these films?

16 comments:

  1. Wow, with the exception of Coal Miner's Daughter, Betty Blue, Mishima, and The Killer (as the last of which is one of Blind Spots) as I've never seen these films. The rest I can totally recommend. Especially One from the Heart as it is a flawed film that might be construed as style over substance but it is a fun film to watch. Especially for its photography, art direction, and music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoidd99: I look forward to watching these. Glad you can recommend the films you’ve seen from the list. In terms of the soundtracks, a chance to discover 80s music I missed.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's a lot of movies I have not seen. Only saw The Killer, Weird Science and Bill and Ted.

    Reminds me that this year my own Blindspot series hasn't gone very well. Still have not watched all of them and a couple I have seen I have not reviewed. I might be able to do it still if I watch the rest of them next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nostra: The blind spot assignments can get away from you, so many things to do, so little time. Don’t stress about it, only movies :)

      Delete
  3. Some nice picks here. I really enjoy Mishima, 9 1/2 Weeks and To Live and Die in LA. Hope you dig them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex Withrow: Thanks, these films have been on my watchlist for a while. I’m practically living in the 80s at the moment :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen anything from your list, but I've been meaning to watch Sid & Nancy and The Killer. Looking forward to reading your thoughts about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Big Screens Small Words: I enjoyed John Woo’s Hard-Boiled (1992), so hope The Killer is of the same quality. I think I read Woo was in his prime then. Not sure if I’ll write reviews for the blind spots, maybe a mini-review in my monthly recaps!

      Delete
  5. The only one from this list I've seen is the Coal Miner's Daughter, I loved it because I'm a Loretta Lynn fan but I hope it has some appeal to everyone else, it's really underrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rebecca: Coal Miner’s Daughter was picked mainly because of the soundtrack, I’m sure has other things to offer as well. Not familiar with Loretta Lynn, watching the film should help me out with getting to know her!

      Delete
  6. I've seen a few of these, myself. I'm curious to see your thoughts on 9 1/2 Weeks. Even more curious to see if Weird Science and Bill & Ted have aged well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Wendell: These films were made 30-35 years ago, so I too am curious if they are dated or still have value. Hopefully the latter.

      Delete
  7. As I was scrolling down your list, saying "nope" in my head, I was relieved to see one film at the end I had seen! Ha. Aside from Sid & Nancy, 9 and a half weeks and Weird Science, I've not even heard of the other films. So therefore, must be a great blindspot selection ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jaina: Not sure these will all turn out to be great, although I like most of the directors. I took a gamble on several of the picks, because of my ulterior motive of wanting to listen to the 80s soundtracks! Thanks for backing me up anyway :)

      Delete
  8. I need to see a few of these myself. I've always wanted to see Streets of Fire, for instance. Hope you still watch these, even if you don't post on the rest here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Josh: I’ve seen about half of the blind spots. The story in Streets of Fire (1984) disappointed me, what kept me watching was the soundtrack.
      The Killer (1989) and 9½ Weeks (1986) I recommend and I reviewed them on letterboxd. I’ll get to the remaining blind spots sooner or later. Have fun with your own

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails