Top 25 songs of 2014 so far










Honorable mentions:
She Used To Love Me A Lot by Johnny Cash
Inmadura by Elsa y Elmar (Thanks senalradionica)
Old Time Glory by Keep Shelly in Athens
Capitol by TR_ST (Thanks Burning Reels)
Mejor Animal by Ciegossordomudos
I Won't Let You Go by Snow Patrol (From Divergent soundtrack) (Thanks Inspired Ground)
Sing by Ed Sheeran (Thanks Nostra)
Maiden by Mø
Love Is To Die by Warpaint
The Morning by WhoMadeWho
Everything Is AWESOME!!! by Tegan and Sara feat. The Lonely Island (From The LEGO® Movie soundtrack)





25.)
Funnel Of Love (featuring Madeline Follin) by SQÜRL (From Only Lovers Left Alive soundtrack)



24.)
Magic by Coldplay



23.)
The Upsetter by Metronomy



22.)
West Coast by Lana Del Rey



21.)
JJ by Reptile Youth



20.)
Marilyn Monroe by Pharrell Williams



19.)
Cult of Love by Dum Dum Girls



18.)
I See You by The Horrors



17.)
Coming Home by Kaiser Chiefs



16.)
Down in The Hole by Bruce Springsteen



15.)
What Would You Do by Joan as Police Woman



14.)
Under The Pressure by The War On Drugs



13.)
I Need You by M83 (From Divergent soundtrack)



12.)
Blank Project by Neneh Cherry



11.)
Perfect World by Broken Bells



10.)
Red Eyes by The War on Drugs



9.)
Waking Light by Beck



8.)
Meet The Foetus Oh The Joy (feat. Shirley Manson of Garbage and Emily Kokal of Warpaint) by Brody Dalle



7.)
All of The People by Panama Wedding



6.)
Seasons (Waiting on You) by Future Islands



5.)
Disappearing by The War On Drugs



4.)
Digital Witness by St. Vincent



3.)
Johnny and Mary by Bryan Ferry & Todd Terje (Robert Palmer cover)



2.)
Coming of Age by Foster the People



1.)
Happy by Pharrell Williams



I hope you enjoyed listening! Agree or disagree? Did I miss any of your favorites of 2014? Interestingly, The Needle Drop listed Disappearing and Johnny and Mary as his least favorite tracks on those albums, I guess my taste is very different to his.

18 comments:

  1. Cool list. I need to check out some of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Shane Slater: Thanks, I considered waiting untill the mid year point, like most music sites do, but decided to just post what I have now. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. You have a great list here. I like the inclusion of Magic by Coldplay which also has a lovely music video. Pharrell's album didn't do muc for me but Marilyn Monroe is a great track. I love that you put Blank Project too. One of my favorites of last year.
    I am very glad that you like Johnny and Mary that much. I haven't listened to the whole album yet but this track with Bryan Ferry is beautiful.
    You hooked me on the needle drop. I appreciate the fact that he knows what he's talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cristi B: Thank you! Coldplay, that video was interesting, and the song deserves to be in top 25. Pharrell album is not as good as Random Access Memories, still, very catchy new tunes.
      Neneh Cherry is new to me, I had heard her 90s hit Seven Seconds on the radio years ago, without knowing her name, I really like her 2014 stuff. At her age (50) some musicians are past their best, that's not the case with Neneh at all.
      I sometimes listen to Anthony Fantano at The Needle Drop, if it’s an album I’m interested in, his reviews are entertaining and he knows a lot about the craft of music.
      Ted Terje LP, the other tracks are very different to the Bryan Ferry tune, I didn’t love the rest, but they were decent.

      Delete
  3. I really like the new song by Ed Sheeran (produced by Pharell), called Sing, have been playing it a lot since it came out last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nostra: Don’t know that tune, will give it a listen today! Thanks

      Delete
  4. I quite like Snow Patrol generally, I didn't even know they're on Divergent soundtrack. I also like Coldplay, though I'm not a fan of their live performances for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ruth: I believe Snow Patrol created that track specifically for Divergent. Coldplay is not a band I generally listen to very often, I quite liked Magic.

      Delete
  5. Great list man. Love seeing "I Need You" make the cut. Love that tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex Withrow: Thanks, I knew you would approve of the M83 track :) Knowing a little bit your taste, you should try out #7 (Panama Wedding), might work for you!

      Delete
    2. Oh man, I'm really digging that. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. @Alex Withrow: Happy to help!

      Delete
  6. Ahah, I was just about to say I can't stop listening to Happy by Pharell. The song is perfect for morning booster. I saw this clip and I love the guy even more http://elitedaily.com/music/pharrell-sobs-tears-of-joy-while-watching-the-world-dance-to-happy/

    Glad I can help you listen to Snow Patrol. I love I Need You by M83 as well. Also love listening 'Find You' by Zedd. Other tracks by Daft Punk new album like Doing it Right is great to listen. Listened to Lorde not long ago. Now listening to Lana Del Ray on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andina: Nice to see in that clip Pharrell cares about the impact of his music, Happy is such a catchy, uplifting song, for all ages, and all cultures, I guess.
      I’m glad you are enjoying Daft Punk, one of my favorite albums from 2013. I don’t know Find You by Zedd, will look it up!
      The Lana Del Rey track I wasn’t so impressed by on first listen, has grown on me.
      Thanks for Snow Patrol.

      Delete
  7. Pharrell Williams' Happy is so damn catchy. Brilliant song. Loved his work with Hans Zimmer on the Amazing Spidey 2 soundtrack. Zimmer even said he's his favourite collaboration!

    West Coast is a fantastic song. Looking forward to her new album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jaina: Cool you are a fan of Happy and West Coast. I haven’t listened to the Amazing Spiderman 2 score, my favorite of the vocal tracks from the soundtrack is “That's My Man” by LIZ, which is very catchy.

      Delete
  8. Love the Beck, Pharrell Williams, Neneh Cherry, M83 and St. Vincent tracks. I still need to check some of these out, but I might do a similar post when I do my top 10 albums of the first half of the year list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Josh: Great that you love those tracks. Will keep an eye out for your future music posts, will be interesting to compare notes :)

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails