The music of Talking Heads (1 of 4)







Album: Talking Heads: 77 (1977)

Thoughts: Psycho Killer is the key track, but there are other good tracks too, which I hadn’t heard before. I have to admit I prefer the inventive sound production and lyrics, more than David Byrne’s vocal.

Favorite tracks: Psycho Killer, Uh-Oh Love Comes to Town, No Compassion, Don't Worry About the Government

Favorite lyric:
“Here come a riddle, here come a clue,
if you were really smart, you'd know what to do”






Album: More Songs About Buildings and Food (1978)

Thoughts: Lots of catchy riffs, but no big hits.

Favorite tracks: Found a Job, Artists Only, Take Me to the River (Al Green cover), The Big Country, Thank You for Sending Me an Angel

Favorite lyrics:
"I look out the window,
(And I) I call that education.
(And I) See all my friends standing out there
(And I) I call that education (sophistication)"

“Add the will to the strength, and it equals conviction”




The band released eight studio albums between 1977-1988. Any thoughts on the music? Have you listened to the Talking Heads? Or are you new to the band as I am?

7 comments:

  1. I've only heard a few albums so far with Remain in Light being my favorite of the bunch so far while I have Stop Making Sense as one of my Blind Spots for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: Remain in Light (1980) is good, I especially like “Once in a Lifetime” from that.
      I’ve listened to all 8 albums, my favorite is Speaking in Tongues (1983), I’ll explain why when I get to it.
      Stop Making Sense is a film I want to see sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  2. My college roommate got me into the Talking Heads in the mid 80s.

    And Stop Making Sense is great. I consider it the best concert film ever made because you feel like you're actually at the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Talking Heads. Love them. The next two albums you look at are their best two (my opinion, and assuming you're skipping live albums--no The Name of this Band is Talking Heads or Stop Making Sense). I recommend listening to Remain in Light multiple times, particularly what used to be the first side of the album: Born Under Punches, Crosseyed and Painless, and The Great Curve. It's arguably the best half album of the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chip Lary: Feel like you are actually at the concert, that’s pretty high praise. Those college roommates know a thing or two :)

    @SJHoneywell: I’m blogging about them two albums at a time, 4 posts about 8 albums.
    I’ll take your advice and give Remain in Light another go, and look out for those tracks, before I post about that album. My initial reaction is I enjoyed it, yet also quite exhausting experience to listen to in its entirety. Perhaps because how fast-paced and danceable the record is. Probably get used to that pace on multiple listens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talking Heads is a band I've always wanted to get more into than I have. I love Fear of Music and Stop Making Sense, but I've neglected most of their other work. I may have to join you on this quest.

    Also, although I haven't seen it in years, I remember getting a kick out of the David Byrne movie, True Stories. Might be worth a look while doing this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric@The Warning Sign: Me too, the band had been on my radar for a while. Feel free to join the quest :) Not familiar with that film True Stories, will look it up!

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails